Insurance Express: The Name for Better Alabama and Mississippi Vacant Dwelling Insurance


Vacant Property Insurance Covers All Shapes & Sizes

Homes, rental properties, and business buildings can be unoccupied for several reasons. The previous homeowner might have been evicted, for instance, and the property might be sitting empty while it awaits a new buyer or lessee.  

Or maybe a home’s current owner has already bought and moved into a new house but hasn’t yet sold the old one. Perhaps a business owner has invested in extensive upgrades to their building, requiring it to be unoccupied during the renovations. Maybe a military member stationed overseas owns a home in the US that sits empty most of the year. Or maybe an apartment unit is empty while awaiting a new tenant. 

Standard Home Insurance & the Owner Occupied Provision

Liquor Insurance

Standard home insurance policies are written under the stipulation that the insured property be “owner-occupied.” This means the person or at least one of the persons paying the mortgage and the insurance premium must actually live in the building year-round. 

Generally speaking, most Alabama homeowners policies will contain certain exclusions that start to apply after a home has been unoccupied more than 30 days. In some cases, a home insurance policy might be completely voided for insufficient owner occupancy. 

Insurance policies for business and rental property typically include provisions requiring some form of occupancy, too. These work similarly to those found in home insurance. 

Vacant Dwelling Insurance is Designed for the Unique Perils of Vacant Property

Occupancy requirements are included in standard property insurance policies because unoccupied buildings—be they homes, businesses, apartment complexes or something else—face a higher risk of certain perils compared to occupied buildings: 

  • Trespassing 
  • Theft 
  • Vandalism 
  • Insect incursion 
  • Frozen or busted pipes 

These differing risk levels are why insurance companies have created and issue different policy types for vacant properties and owner-occupied buildings. 

Not Carrying Vacant Dwelling Insurance Could Leave Your Bank Account Drained

Some insurance carriers allow homeowners to add a vacant property as an addendum to an existing policy. However, such coverages aren’t standard, and if you own a vacant property in Alabama, it’s extremely important to carry the proper policy type.  

If you insure a vacant property with standard home or business insurance and file a major claim, it will probably be rejected once the insurance company realizes you’re carrying the wrong coverage. In fact, the entire policy will probably be voided, leaving you on the hook for all the damages to your property. 

For a Free Quote on Vacant Dwelling Insurance, Contact Insurance Express, LCC. 

If you’re wondering about your options for covering a vacant property in Alabama or Mississippi, call Insurance Express, LCC. today at (251) 843-2299. We'll review your coverage needs and advise you regarding the best, most comprehensive coverage options for the lowest possible price—guaranteed. We proudly serve all of Alabama & Mississippi, with a primary focus on Choctaw, Washington, Marengo, Sumter and Clarke counties, including the cities of Gilbertown, Butler, Silas, Millry, Chatom.

For a free online vacant property insurance quote, just fill out the "Request a Quote" form on our Contact Page. We can’t wait to get you covered!

Scroll to Top